Today I am going to share with you my favorite summer bbq recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Italian Sausage Dogs Topped with Spicy Marinara Sauce. Or “Bacon Dogs” for short.
This is not your ordinary bacon dog.
I am a firm believer that if you want delicious, high-quality food, then you need to put in the love and work! Those eating your food can tell when you cut corners and when you go the extra step. So this summer turn an ordinary BBQ party into something your guests will be talking about all summer long! How do you do that? Feed them some damn good food.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30minutes
1 package of mild or hot Italian sausage links
1 package of large sesame seed hot dog buns or hoagie rolls
2 white onions
1 red bell pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 green bell pepper
Crushed Chili Flake
1 whole Garlic (or 5 cloves of Garlic)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 package of thick cut bacon (we prefer smoked bacon)
Dried Oregano (can use fresh)
1 can of tomato purée (or 1 can of peeled tomatoes)
1 bunch basil
Dried Parsley (can use fresh)
Coarse ground spicy brown mustard
(we also use a dash of red wine vinegar but it is not essential to the recipe)
*this shopping list serves 5 people. Double ingredients needed for every 5 people.
1. PREP/ STARTING SAUCE:
The sauce will by far take the longest to cook. It is better if you start the sauce first and then continue to prep. The longer the sauce cooks, the more time it has to really soak in the flavors. Just make sure it isn’t burning!
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic
- Chop 1 cup of basil
- Dice 1/2 onion
- Put a saucepan on low heat and add 1 tsp of olive oil
- Add the 1 can of tomato puree or 1 can of crushed tomatoes
(if you are using peeled tomatoes, crush them by hand over the simmer before adding them to the saucepan)
- Mix in 3 cloves of minced garlic with the 1/2 cup of diced onion
- Lastly, add a dash of salt and cover the saucepan on a low simmer for 30 minutes.
2. PREP SAUSAGES & PEPPERS:
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic (adjust for your taste, we just love garlic!)
- Julienne cut one onion and both peppers. Set aside
- Wrap all Italian sausage links with 1-2 pieces of thick cut bacon. Make sure to overlap each other as you’re wrapping around the sausage. Use a toothpick on the top and bottom to keep the bacon in place. Set aside
PREPARING THE DOGS:
1. ONIONS AND PEPPERS
- Add onions & peppers into a saute pan and put on medium/high heat
- Mix in 2 minced cloves of garlic and 3 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- Continue on medium/high heat to sweat down the onions and peppers adding a little char to them.
- Once they are almost finished, hit them with a dash of red wine vinegar and then continue sauteing for a minute longer.
- Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
(tip: keep the lid vented to prevent the steam to cook them further)
2. BACON SAUSAGES
- Rinse out the same pan you used for peppers and put on medium heat to warm the pan. Do not add olive oil.
- Place the bacon-wrapped sausage dogs into the pan side by side and cook for 2 minutes on medium/high heat. Then flip the dogs and cook for another 2 minutes
- Once the sausages & bacon are brown on both sides, lower the heat to medium/low.
- Add a lid and let the dogs cook for 5 minutes each side.
- Remove from heat and get ready to plate
- Turn your oven on the broil setting
- While it prepares, melt butter in the microwave with a little bit of garlic powder (I told you, we love garlic) and then brush onto the bun
- Place buns into the oven until toasted
- Take the toasted bun and spread a layer of spicy brown mustard evenly.
- Remove toothpicks from the dogs and place in bun.
- Take a spoonful or two of sauce and pour over the dog.
- Finally, add the sauteed onions and peppers.
Did you make this summer BBQ recipe? Tag us on Instagram with #ChadSummerBBQ for a chance to be featured!